Find a licensed professional

Why do I need a licensed professional?

Depending on the type of project you plan to do and which category of work this falls under you may need a licensed professional to do the work.

For example, some building work is considered low risk and can be completed by an owner and does not require a permit. However, if specialised work is required, such as plumbing or electrical work, you will need to hire a licensed plumber or electrician. The work must comply with any relevant requirements in the National Construction Code, and may require notification to the relevant council to advise them of the project.

Some work will require planning approval from the council. If this is the case, you must apply for planning approval before starting any work. It is your responsibility as property owner to ensure planning approval is obtained, if required.

For those properties that fall under the Tasmanian Planning Scheme, PlanBuild Tasmania provides a comprehensive Guided Enquiry service to help identify which approvals may be required for your proposed project. Select the Start enquiry button to get started.

Who needs a licence?

Many professionals in the building and construction industry must have a licence to carry out work in Tasmania.

Requiring specialised professions to be licensed protects both the consumers and the professionals working in the industry by ensuring the service provider is appropriately qualified and experienced for the work that they undertake.

Licensing professions also provides additional benefits such as ensuring licensees are covered by the necessary policy of insurance, that they are a fit and proper person to hold a licence, and that they carry out continuing professional development (CPD) to ensure that their skills remain up-to-date.

A licence is required in Tasmania for the following professions:

  • Building Surveyor
  • Building Designer
  • Building Services Designer
  • Architect
  • Builder
  • Electrician
  • Plumber
  • Gas-fitter
  • Auto gas-fitter
  • Permit Authority
  • Engineer

Licence scope

All licensed professionals must only act within their area of their competence and the scope of their specific licence. This is the specific areas of skill which a licensee is qualified and experienced for and capable of undertaking. You must ensure your licensed professional holds the correct licence with the specified scope of work (e.g. Builder - Medium Rise) to undertake the work on your project.

Find a licensed professional

You can find a licensed professional and check the licence status and scope of any licensed professional through the Occupational Licensing portal.

Updated: 23rd February 2022